Katharine F. Hooker
Katharine Hooker has focused her legal career exclusively in the area of family law, particularly litigation. She zealously and effectively advocates for her clients in negotiations, court proceedings, and trials. Katharine represents clients in a wide variety of complicated cases involving: dissolution of marriage, legal separation, child custody and visitation, child and spousal support, valuation and division of business ownership interests, division retirement benefits, stock and investment accounts, real property claims and disposition (including residences that are underwater), and other sophisticated financial issues. Katharine frequently coordinates with forensic accountants, business and real estate valuation professionals, vocational experts, and/or mental health professionals as needed to achieve her clients’ financial or child custody goals. Katharine also represents clients in the preparation and negotiation of prenuptial and postnuptial agreements and post-judgment enforcement litigation.
She received her Bachelor's Degree from Azusa Pacific University, graduating cum laude. She graduated from Regent University School of Law and was admitted to practice law in 2006. She is licensed to practice law in all California Courts. Katharine is a member of the American Bar Association and American Bar Family Law Section, the California Bar Association and California Bar Family Law Section, the Alameda County Bar Association, the Alameda County Family Law Association, and the Contra Costa Bar Association. Katharine served on the Board of Directors for the California Young Lawyers Association (CYLA), Section of the CA State Bar (2009-2011), and was elected Chair of the Communications Committee in 2010. Additionally, she was a member of the State Bar Social Media Task Force (2010-2011) which was responsible for launching FaceBook™ and Twitter™ sites for the State Bar Sections. She is a member and 2009 and 2012 President of the Eastern Alameda County Bar Association.
In 2013 and 2014 Super Lawyers Magazine named Katharine top 2.5% of lawyers under 40 in the State of California.
Katharine has a passion to assist individuals with complex family law litigation matters and transition through one of life’s most difficult experiences as quickly, painlessly, and successfully as possible.
Creating a Modern Law Practice, June 2013, Contra Costa Bar Association, Law Practice Management Series
Featured Speaker: 2010, 2011 CA Annual State Bar Meeting, Family Law Nuts & Bolts, and Basic Skills Training for Every New Attorney, Long Beach, CA and Monterey, CA.
Areas of Practice
- Family Law
- Child Custody
- Child Support
- Same Sex Family Law
- Military Divorce
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- Regent University School of Law, Virginia Beach, Virginia - 2006
- Azusa Pacific University
- Honors: cum laude
- Simple Chronology of a Divorce Case, Eastern Alameda County Bar Journal, Flim Flam, Volume 11, Issue #3, March, 2010
- Frequently Asked Questions in Child Custody/Visitation Cases, Eastern Alameda County Bar Journal, Flim Flam, Volume 10, Issue #8, November, 2008
- CEO & Founder of Great Young Attorney, Inc.,, Training for New Attorneys, as Featured by LexisNexis
- The Family Law Office Blog
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers Magazine Named Katharine top 2.5% of Lawyers Under 40 in the State of California, 2013
- Super Lawyers Magazine Named Katharine top 2.5% of Lawyers Under 40 in the State of California, 2014
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Family Law Section, Member
- California Bar Association, Member
- California Bar Association, Family Law Section, Member
- Alameda County Bar Association, Member
- Alameda County, Family Law Association, Member
- Contra Costa Bar Association, Member
- California Young Lawyers Association (CYLA), Board of Directors
- Section of the California State Bar, 2009 - 2011
- California State Bar, Elected Chair, Communications Committee, 2010
- Eastern Alameda County Bar Association, President, 2009 - 2012
- Eastern Alameda County Bar Association, Member
Pro Bono Activities
- State Bar Social Media Task Force, 2010 - 2011