ALERT: As a result of the current situation regarding Covid-19 (coronavirus), Family Law Group offers consultations via telephone or video chat (such as Skype or Facetime).

Family Law Group, INC.
Call Our Attorneys Today 925-344-3524

Petitioning for more parenting time in California

California recognizes two types of custody: physical and legal. Physical custody is the type of custody over which most parents fight, as most parties want as much time with their little ones as possible. In an ideal situation, the courts will award each parent equal amounts of custody, but most situations are not ideal. In non-ideal situations, the courts may award one parent more time than the other. Judges are very selective in how they choose to administer custody which is why petitioning for more custody is a challenging and drawn out process.

According to California Courts, judges award custody based on what is in the best interests of the child. To determine what is best for the child, the courts will consider several factors. Those factors are as follows:

  •       The age of the child
  •       The emotional connection between parent and child
  •       The child's health
  •       Each parent's aptitude to care for the child
  •       Any record of substance abuse or family violence
  •       The child's connection to his or her school, home and community

Of course, situations change. California Courts accommodates for those changes by outlining what a parent need do if he or she wishes to obtain more custody. If the parents agree to the proposed changes, they can modify the order via an agreement. However, if one parent objects to the proposed changes, the parent who wants the modification must file a motion with the courts requesting one.

The parent who files the motion must be able to prove a change in circumstances has occurred. This mean that there has been a significant change since the judge finalized the original custody agreement that affects the well-being of the child. Parties need keep in mind the courts will only change a custody agreement if doing so is in the best interests of the child.  

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Arrange A Personal Consultation And Get The Answers You Need

We welcome the opportunity to meet with you personally to discuss your situation and answer any questions you may have. Please call our family law attorneys at 925-344-3524 or contact us online to arrange a consultation.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Offices Conveniently located in Livermore & Walnut Creek

Livermore Office
1840 4th Street, Suite 200
Livermore, CA 94550

Phone: 925-344-3524
Fax: 925-447-0272
Map & Directions

Walnut Creek Office
1990 N. California Blvd., Suite 600
Walnut Creek, CA 94596

Phone: 925-344-3524
Fax: 925-447-0272
Map & Directions